30th June 2020
Five ingredient Victoria sponge cake
If you’re looking for afternoon tea inspiration, why not try our simple five ingredient recipe for a classic Victoria sponge?
6oz unsalted butter (softened out of the fridge)
6oz caster sugar
6oz McDougalls Supreme Sponge Flour
3 eggs (beaten)
Strawberry jam and whipped or clotted cream (optional) for the filling
icing sugar for dusting
Pre-heat oven to 140C/ gas mark 4. Line and grease two 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
1. Mix the butter and sugar together until it’s pale in colour and has a creamy texture.
2. Add in one egg and mix with a third of the flour.
3. Add in another egg and mix with the flour, repeat again until all the mixture is combined.
4. Split the sponge mixture into the two cake tins and bake in the oven for about 15/20 mins. You can check the sponges are fully cooked by putting a knife in the middle and making sure it comes out clean.
5. Slice the top off one of the sponge cakes and add a layer of strawberry jam and cream (if using)
6. Place the other sponge on top and dust with icing sugar.
We recommend enjoying a slice of this delicious Victoria sponge cake with a cup of tea.