19th January 2021
Dry January at Three Church Road
Dry January is one of the UK’s most popular New Year’s Resolutions. And for good reason, as the health benefits are widely popularised. According to BMI Healthcare, “Drinking less alcohol can have great benefits for your health, from a stronger immune system to reduced stress and a healthy, functioning liver. As mentioned, you may well lose weight. Alcohol also affects your blood pressure, so you may see an improvement there too. It’s easy to ignore the negative effects that alcohol can have on your body, but they can be very serious, and many of us drink more than we are aware.”
If you’re thinking of taking the pledge, we have some tips to help you be successful.
• Switch your focus from drinking to eating. Seasonal eating in January is all about rich meats and seasonal root vegetables. Think dishes like venison, game, root vegetables, steaks and rich stews.
• Take the challenge with a friend. You can encourage each other.
• If you’re a beer fan, try the non-alcoholic versions of popular beers.
• Or, if you’re a wine drinker, there are non-alcoholic sparking and standard wines available.
• If you like cocktails, try a mocktail. They’re well-blended fruits and aromatic concoctions.
• Lock up your liquor cabinet and give the key to a trusted friend so you won’t be tempted.
• Take the money you would have spent on alcohol and put it to the side. When you’ve finished your pledge, treat yourself with the savings.
• Plan events to attend that would normally not include alcohol anyway. Some good options are live sporting events, afternoon teas and church outings.
• Focus on your fitness. Take up a new sport or create a gym routine. Exercise and alcohol don’t mix anyway, so you’ll be primed to succeed.
Read more on our blog
Read more on our blog to keep up to date with recipes and everything going on at our restaurant.